Travel Information | University of Hawaii system
Employees returning from out-of-state travel
To mitigate the risk of introducing post-travel infections to our campuses, the University of Hawaii strongly recommends that all employees, vaccinated and unvaccinated, returning from out-of-state business or personal travel, present proof of a negative COVID-19 test before entering a uh campus or workplace. Employees must also keep track of all Hawaii Safe travel guidelines and uh COVID-19 guidelines, including being cleared by the LumiSight UH daily health check app to be on campus and wearing face masks indoors on campus.
For employees reporting to work immediately after returning from out-of-state travel, it is strongly recommended that the employee obtain two negative COVID-19 test results: the first must be obtained before return to work and the second must be obtained within three to five days of returning from travel.
Both PCR test or antigen test will be accepted, although the PCR is preferred. uh will pay for the test for business travel and employees are responsible for the cost of the test for personal travel.
Fully Vaccinated US Inter-County and Domestic Travelers Can Bypass Pre-Travel Testing, Quarantine
Fully vaccinated U.S. inter-island and trans-Pacific travel restrictions dropped for travelers arriving in Hawaii who can provide proof of being fully vaccinated. The Vaccination Record document must be uploaded to Safe Travels or printed out prior to departure and a hard copy in hand upon arrival at Hawaii. The state of Hawaii will also accept digitally validated immunization records from Digital Health Pass partners. Travelers who have been fully vaccinated in Hawaii are already eligible for this exception.
State of HawaiiCOVID-19 Pre-Travel Testing Program for Hawaii Inbound travelers
Anyone over the age of 18 is required to register online with the State of Hawaii Safe Travels program before traveling to Hawaii and follow the required steps. The 10-day quarantine will remain in place for travelers who opt out of the pre-test program and who are not fully vaccinated. Visit hawaiicovid19.com/travel/getting-to-hawaii for more information.
Students traveling to Oʻahu attend the University of Hawaii in Mānoa are expected to use the Safe Travels program, as successful completion of the Safe Travels program ensures that there is no need to quarantine and there are no restrictions on activities.
- Unvaccinated domestic (US) travelers and all trans-Pacific international travelers must obtain a negative test result from a Trusted Testing and Travel Partner (TTTP) within 72 hours of their departure for the state of Hawaii. Otherwise, travelers are required to self-quarantine for 10 days upon arrival. Only Trusted Testing and Travel Partner test results approved by the Hawaii Ministry of Health will be accepted.
- Unvaccinated U.S. transpacific travelers and all international travelers to Hawaii must upload their negative test result into the Safe Travels system prior to departure or, alternatively, bring a hard copy of their negative test result with them when boarding their flight. The state of Hawaii highly recommend to all transpacific travelers heading for Hawaii carry a hard copy of their negative test result as backup.
- Test results of unvaccinated transpacific travelers and all international travelers obtained after arrival in Hawaii will not be accepted. Unvaccinated transpacific and international travelers who did not have a negative test result prior to departure for Hawaii must self-quarantine for 10 days at their own expense, no exceptions.
- For students living on campus in Student Housing Services, any need for quarantine must take place off campus and at the expense and arrangement of the student.
- All Incoming Transpacifics Hawaii travelers will receive temperature checks upon arrival at the airport. Temperature analyzes will be carried out via thermal temperature monitoring. Photos will be temporarily retained only for those with high temperatures of 100.4 degrees F and above for identification purposes and further assessments by airport officials.
- Visit hawaiicovid19.com/travel/getting-to-hawaii for more information.
- For students attending the campuses of Oʻahu and Kauaʻi who are geographically unable to get a test from a TTTPfor example, your country is not a TTTP or your city does not have one TTTPs, email us at [email protected]
uh Employees and the pre-travel testing program
uh employees who travel out of state, for business or personal reasons, must present proof of having met the state of Hawaii Safe travels Hawaii Program requirements before physical return at their campus/office. This does not apply to teleworking employees. Employees must provide a screenshot of their Safe Travels exemption information in the Safe Travels web application/form (example below) which states that they are exempt from the mandatory 10-day quarantine.
Information for travelers entering the United States
The US State Department requires that “air travelers two years of age and older, regardless of nationality or vaccination status, be required to present documentation of a negative viral test result taken within one day of departure of the flight to the United States before boarding”. More information.
Last modification: January 10, 2022