Travel Information for International Scholars | Office of International Students and Academics

To re-enter the United States, you must have a valid passport, valid visa stamp, recent pay stub or current employment letter, original signed DS-2019 form to travel if you are J-1 (J -2) visitor and notice I-797 if you hold the H-1B (H-4).

Traveling outside the United States and the return process

Over the past few years, there have been a number of changes that may affect international students and scholars who are considering leaving and re-entering the United States. The U.S. Department of State and the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Customs and Border Protection have increased the level of scrutiny international visitors face at U.S. embassies and consulates, airports, and border crossings .

If you plan to travel outside of the United States, you should be aware of important immigration and security regulations to ensure you can leave and re-enter the United States. whether for the first time or after a short trip abroad. If you are traveling overseas, all dependents must have a valid visa in the appropriate dependent category to re-enter the United States.

Travel and change of status

In most cases, a request filed in the United States to change status from one nonimmigrant status to another is canceled if the trip takes place. after filing the request with USCIS and before it is approved. Dependents who have a pending change of status request with USCIS should consult with an international academic advisor before planning their trip.

Travel warnings

International scholars traveling outside of the United States may want to check travel warnings (warnings about civil unrest, natural disasters, epidemics, etc.) before planning their trip.

Comments are closed.